Science at work 16 March 2023
Mexico, central America and the Andean countries
Main research fields
In Mexico and Central America
- Stepping up work on ecologically intensive farming (agroforestry, cropping systems and agrifood systems, family farming, quality).
- Developing integrated pest and disease control (IPM).
- Supporting agricultural change, by means of methods and tools that smallholders can use (management, negotiating, farmer-led trials, participatory breeding, etc.).
- Stepping up coffee and cocoa germplasm conservation and management in in situ collections.
CIRAD works with national and regional bodies – Center for Tropical Agricultural Research and Education (CATIE, Costa Rica), Instituto Interamericano de Cooperacion para la Agricultura (IICA, Costa Rica), Promecafé (Programa Cooperativo Regional para el Desarrollo Tecnológico y Modernización de la Caficultura, Guatemala) – international organizations and the private sector.
In the countries of the Andean zone
- Contributing to scientific excellence, the production of global public goods, and the generation of knowledge that can rapidly be rolled out to small- and medium-sized farms.
- Supporting research on tropical crops such as cocoa, coffee, rubber, sugarcane, oil palm, etc.
- Improving product (notably fruit) quality, by developing new varieties, methods and processing systems.
- Fighting deforestation: land use planning, support for sustainable value chains.
- Encouraging practices that preserve soil fertility and maintain soil organic carbon, agroforestry.
- Analysing how public public policy is built and its socioeconomic and environmental impact.
CIRAD works with national and international bodies: International Center for Tropical Agriculturee (CIAT, Colombia), Bioversity International, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF, Kenya) and the private sector.
Emblematic projects and platforms in partnership for research and training
The dots show the countries in which CIRAD and its partners work. They do not show specific sites.
- 19 expatriate researchers
- 2 platforms in partnership
Platforms in partnership
- Mesoamerican Scientific Platform for Agroforestry - Agroforesta
Platform led by Dominique Dessauw, from CATIE, Turrialba, Costa Rica.
- Public Policy and Rural Development in Latin America - PP-AL
Network led by Jean-François LeCoq, from CIAT, Cali, Colombia.
Teaching and training
Our researchers supervise many PhD, diploma or vocational students, and are also involved in organizing higher education courses, particularly at CATIE in Costa Rica, the National University of Colombia (UNAL), and the University of the Andes (Colombia).See also: Teaching and training
Scientific publicationsSee all publications
CIRAD Regional Office for the Andean Zone and Central America -
Parque Central Bavaria
Tél. : +57 314 2362437
Whatsapp : +33 6 78 21 63 35