Software and digital applications - Sustainable agriculture
LamHis: virtual plant anatomy histological slides
The PHIV platform uses the LamHis technology, based on the possibility of using scanners to digitize histological sections mounted on glass slides, and to move across the slide to discover the structure of the organ on a tissue, cell and infra-cellular level.
LamHis potentially has numerous applications:
- Conservation of slide collections,
- Identification of fibre zones and characteristics of interest,
- Varietal breeding,
- Development and marketing of plant-based products: food crops, spice and aromatic plants, latex plants, fibre plants, dye plantes, etc.
The CIRAD PHIV platform can provide services and/or work with you in the following fields:
- Digitization of existing slide stocks held by laboratories or partners, to ensure their conservation and facilitate their use
- Side annotation, to facilitate their use for teaching purposes
- Creation of slides from primary materials, including highly valuable or rare materials, and their subsequent digitization and annotation
- Training in histocytology and plant anatomy: annual sessions are on offer, to enable students to understand the merits of histology and pinpoint applications in various fields.
Once digitized, virtual slides can be studied on a computer using free navigation software (open-source NDPI viewer) or Zoomify.
The service relies on the PHIV team's expertise and state-of-the-art equipment.