Event 7 June 2022
The figures for coffee
- 10 million hectares planted
- More than 120 million jobs
- A source of income for more than 40 tropical countries
- 70% of the crop comes from small family farms of less than 5 hectares
- Two cultivated species: Coffea arabica (60% of the coffee produced) and Coffea canephora (40%).
- Returning to more ecologically sustainable systems and reducing adverse environmental effects, for full-sun cropping systems that use large quantities of fertilizers.
- Boosting the economic profitability of the more or less intensified agroforestry systems maintained by smallholders.